Sunday, July 20, 2008

So it’s been four weeks in the Sec MAC program at Michigan. Within those four weeks, I have completed a ‘Leadership’ topic for ED649 and taken the MTTC basic skills, physics and math tests. Both more than what most had to do thus far. The Leadership topic was easy enough and the MTTC basic skills test was laughable. But, taking the math and physics exams within the same 4.5hr time block was pretty brutal. The content of the exams wasn’t that difficult, but taking both at the same time really makes time a factor. I can’t recommend taking both in the same session, or taking all three the same day. The tests are all individually easy enough to not stress about, so why create the stress of inserting a time constraint on your self? Believe me, it’s not worth it. In short, Risk ≥ Reward.

Now, after the first few weeks, I decided to make sure that my life wasn’t totally dominated by the MAC program. Playing in the Ann Arbor men’s hardball league is a great distraction. And Tuesday I caught the first 6 innings of the All Star game after hitting the batting cages. Thursday was game night and Saturday was another game day (2-5, 2 BB, 2 1B, 1RoE, 1R, 2E* over 2 games). Now, I’m camping with Jennifer (my wife), Abby (my daughter) and Becca (sister in law). Unfortunately, it’s raining. However, we were still able to go swimming and get a fire going for smores. Camping never seems to work out for us in terms of weather, but we have a cabin with A/C instead of a tent. So we have that going for us. Abby is swimming better than I could have imagined at this early age. Especially since we don’t have a permanent pool at home. Club Wolverine, here she comes!

You may have noticed the NPH linkage above this post. I was listening to NPR the other day on the way back from class and they mentioned the latest intra-web sensation. Naturally, NPH is the star of the show. But really, when was the last time NPH wasn’t a sensation? Probably 1991-2004. Sometime around then. Anyway, NPR rocks in this superhero musical, Dr. Horrible’s Sing Along Blog. Brief synopsis: Dr. Horrible (NPH) is trying to join the Evil League of Evil. He chronicles his attempts via video blog. Moderate hilarity ensues. Honestly, there are few LOL moments, but it’s worth a peek. I caught it for free, but now I think it’s only available via ipod download for $X.99.

Other news: We’re having a boy in Nov. My old roommate Tony is on his way back to the States. Meeeechigan football starts in 6 short weeks. The week 4 Sec MAC to-do list actually seems manageable if I can get started on Sunday (wooooo only 4 major projects!). I still haven’t seen Dark Night == frowns.


* @($#*($^#^&#^@*^#@*@#*!)!&!&!@&! in a cheese grater with sugar on top.

2 comments:

ckiley said...

Dan,

I know taking 2 MTTC tests in one day is exhausting, but you will be glad you have all of that over with when your student teaching starts.

Also, it is good to hear that you are putting MAC stuff aside and taking time out for yourself and your family. MAC work and student teaching can take over your life if you let it.

Good luck and talk to you soon.

Stephanie V said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee football!!!!

I'm also glad to see that you are indoctrinating the young one.

I too can't wait to see the Dark Knight. But, I'm forcing myself to wait until at least this weekend, because I see a bleak future ahead in which I have that proverbial 'screw this' moment and spend 100% of my time seeing movies and reading waaaay too much about the upcoming season.

Oh no. I think I just had that moment. Excuse me while I go scour mgoblog for something I haven't already read a million times.